Planning Our San Francisco Vacation

July 31, 2013

I’ve been thinking about our upcoming trip to San Francisco almost non-stop the past couple of days! The trip is coming at a really great time, Allen and I get to take a trip, get outside our normal day-to-day grind, get a fresh perspective on things, celebrate our fourth anniversary and enjoy each others company. I can’t wait.

We’re funny the way we plan vacations… I started with blank sheets of paper, scribbling lists and ideas, lists of touristy spots that are in the same neighborhoods, etc. Then I made one page for each day we’ll be there and used sticky notes to move stuff around and schedule the days! Allen had his excel spreadsheet and as we chatted about each item on the list, he added the name, address, cost, and any other interesting info. How do you guys plan vacations? I feel like there’s an app for this…

I’ve loved hearing your suggestions and tips so far and I’d love to hear anything else you’ve got! Here’s our tentative schedule so far, keeping in mind we’ll surely shift things around when we get there!

Click through to read more…

Wednesday
Wineries!
Breakfast at Tartine Bakery before we hit the road
Cline Cellars
Frog’s Leap
Schug Estate
Lunch at Glen Ellen Village Market
Dinner at The Girl & the Fig

Thursday
*Grab lunch at Oxbow Market (Tip from Melissa!)
Drive through Muir Woods on our way back into San Fran
*After Muir Woods, Hawk Hill – great views of Golden Gate (Tip from Courtney!)Dolores Park
Bi-Rite Grocery & Creamery (Salted Caramel, I’m coming for you!)
General wandering and maybe a bike ride
Dinner with Mere & Viet!

Friday
Ferry Building/Fisherman’s Wharf
Ferry to Sausalito, walk around & eat lunch
Lombardi Street
Giants Game (Garlic fries, anyone?)

Saturday
Brunch at Farm:Table
Walk around Valencia St
Golden Gate Park
Dinner at Foreign Cinema

Extras
Flora Grubb Gardens
Conservatory of Flowers
Ride a cable car
See Patrick Lannan’s San Francisco garden

So is there anything fabulous we’re missing? Obviously, we’ll add some last minute stuff in as we walk around the city. We’ve loved adding in your ideas for how to get the most out of our trip. It’s like crowdsourcing your vacation, and we’ve added some great ideas that we otherwise wouldn’t have known about without your help! Thank you, thank you!

13 thoughts on “Planning Our San Francisco Vacation

1. brittanyMakes

SO EXCITED FOR YOU! You might be disappointed in Shug. But if you go to Cline, hop across the street and check out Jacuzzi! literally, across the street. You’ll fall in love with it’s Italian villa style and varietals, pinky swear :) And tell me how you like Glenn Ellen Village Market, it’s my family’s store :) I’ll be thinking of you while you’re enjoying my hood!

2. K W

hmmm so I would definitely say walk by lombard street, last time I drove by it was like a 2 hour drive to drive down it. You could walk around Union Square, its got shopping, and its just in the downtown area, if you go to Delores park you could also head up to Twin Peaks to get an awesome view of the city (fog permitting of course). Oh make sure you see the Painted Ladies (you know from Full House) and then I would say if possible get chocolate from Ghiradeli of course. Are you renting a car? Or relying upon public transportation? I have too much input even though we’ve only been here a few months. haha sorry I’m so annoying. let me know if you have any questions or if you want any shots in the city. also you don’t have to take any of my ideas but i have lots more if you want! haha.

3. Christine

If you like food and have time on Saturday morning, I would say check out the Farmer’s Market at the Ferry Building and all of the little food shops inside also.

Have a great time!

4. Courtney

Walk up to Coit Tower on top of Telegraph Hill for pretty views and there are wild parrots that live on the hill! I also recommend Chinatown, just to walk around and a tour of Alcatraz if you have time. Definitely stop in Muir woods and pay the $7 to go in. Finally, on your way back to SF from Muir woods, head up to Hawk Hill for the BEST views of Golden Gate :)

5. Melissa Zeidan

Hi Whitney! It’s Melissa from Serving Seconds. You may recall, we met (very briefly) at Alt Summit in January. I was actually just on Mere’s blog and saw your link on her blogroll…so I thought I would drop by to say hi! And what a surprise to see you’re coming to SF! I must say, your itinerary is looking pretty good. You’ve definitely done your homework! If you’re looking for any lunch spots on Thursday, Oxbow Market in Napa is a good place to check out on your way out of town (kind of a mini version of the SF Ferry Building). Apparently, there is also an amazing grilled cheese at the Muir Woods snack bar, but I’ve never had it before.

If you want to take a quick detour just before crossing Golden Gate back into SF, Cavallo Point is a really neat pitstop. It’s actually a hotel, but the views of the bridge/bay are amazing and a great place to grab food/drinks as well.

IMO, you’re making the right call going to Ferry Building on Friday. The farmer’s market is impressive on Saturday morning, but I was just there last weekend, and I could hardly maneuver through the crowd. The bathroom line was also INSANE. Try the amazing oysters at Hog Island Oyster Bar!

Don’t forget to bring layers. Not sure if you’ve been warned, but our summer’s can get fairly chilly here. Especially for the game, since it’s right on the water. Napa should be pretty warm though.

Have so much fun! Planning for Alt again next year btw?

6. whitney

Yes, yes! Thank you Brittany! We added the Glen Ellen Market for lunch because you recommended it!!! I’m so excited! We had some friends that really enjoyed Schug so we’re going to check it out. We do have Jacuzzi on the list too so if we’re not too tipsy by then we’ll definitely add it :) :) – Thank you again for all your suggestions! SO helpful!

7. whitney

Yay! Yes yes, good tip on Twin Peaks, I was wondering about a place for good views and maybe a good photo :) We’re renting a car for the first two days while we head up to Sonoma but we’re returning it once we’re back in San Fran. Ah, I forgot the Painted Laides! They’re definitely on the list, I forget which day we worked them in. Thank you SO much!!
    PS – sending you an email today about some photos!:)

8. whitney

Great tips! I do want to do a tour of Alcatraz, I’m not sure if we have time though! thanks for the tip on Hawk Hill – definitely writing that one down. Thank you!!:)

9. whitney

Hey Melissa! I definitely remember you! thank you so much for these tips! I just added Oxbow Market for our lunch spot on our way out of wine country – perfect! And yes, I have been warned about the chillier temperatures so I’ll be bringing a couple of jackets and scarves and such. :) Really, thank you so much!!!

10. Camille Iman

So excited for you to come to SF, you’re itinerary looks great! There’s a few places I’ve never been and I’ve lived here almost a year :) You’ll be really close to my job actually, when you’re near Fisherman’s Wharf!

11. MSvictor

Unfortunately, I arrived a bit late (Lombard public transport, gah) and didn’t have time to take good photographs of the new swatches, so here is a quick and dirty phone photo of a new Mariah Carey collection coming out later this year..http://www.lombard-taxi.com Lombard Taxi services to and from Midway, O’Hare and the Loop

12. Lola

excellent points altogether, you just gained a new reader.
    What might you recommend in regards to your put up that you just made some days in the past?

Any certain?

My web blog; adobe (Lola)